FISHER & PHILLIPPI/F. H. PHILLIPPI & SON
The Fisher & Phillippi/F. H. Phillippi & Son Records Collection was accessioned into the Piqua Public Library Archives and Special Collections on July 11, 2013 as a donation/gift from Altamae Schrubb, the great granddaughter of Frank H. Phillippi. The collection is housed in a single Hollinger box containing 24 files.
The collection tells the story of the Fisher & Phillippi Harness and Leather Goods manufacturing business and after the death of Christopher Fisher of the transition to F. H. Phillippi & Son Harness and Leather Goods manufacturing business. In the 1920’s with the increase in the use of automobiles and the decline of the use of the horse and buggy, the business began selling Kodak Cameras and processing Kodak film. Very late in the 1920’s Byron Schrubb began working in the business and by 1930 had become manager. With the deaths of both Frank Phillippi and his son, Byron Schrubb bought the business and by the mid-1930’s had changed the primary objective of the business to photography and photographic supplies and had renamed the business Schrubb’s Camera Shop. Mr. Schrubb was a grandson of Frank Phillippi.
The copyright on these documents has been passed to the Piqua Public Library Archives and Special Collections in any case where copyright still exists since these materials date from the 1880’s to the 1930’s. There are no restrictions on the use of these materials.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Fisher & Phillippi/F. H. Phillippi & Son Records Collection is divided into the following four series:
SERIES I: PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENTS – Box 1, Files 1-10
SERIES II: BUSINESS PAPERS – Box 1, Files 11-16
SERIES III: FRANK H. PHILLIPPI: DEEDS, MORTGAGES, BILLS OF SALE FOR REAL ESTATE – Box 1, Files 17-23
SERIES IV: FRANK H. PHILLIPPI: DOCUMENTS RELATING TO THE PURCHASE OF MASOLEUM CRYPTS – Box 1, File 24
SERIES I: PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENTS AND LEASES
1 Agreement between Martin McNeeley and Christ Fisher and Frank Phillippi to purchase the harness shop building which is on leased ground in the area known as the Brown Corner, Public Square, Piqua, Ohio including all tools, equipment and manufactured goods for $500.00. The agreement is dated 22 November 1883 and marks the beginning of Fisher & Phillippi Harness Co. The company will be forced to move in 1890 to make way for the new Plaza Hotel.
2 Photograph of the Fisher and Phillippi Harness Shop on High Street at the northwest corner of the Public Square. Photo is taken in 1890 at the time many of the businesses were being forced to move because of the beginning of construction of the Plaza Hotel.
3 Inventory and agreement in which Frank H. Phillippi purchased Christopher W. Fisher’s share of Fisher & Phillippi after Fisher’s death in March 1908. The document was signed by E.W. Maier, Probate Judge. This inventory was done and the purchase completed prior to 22 June 1908.
4 Agreement by which Jerome F. Phillippi purchased an interest in the harness business now owned by Frank H. Phillippi as a result of the purchase agreement in File #3. (2 copies)
5 Articles of Co-Partnership between Frank H. Phillippi and Jerome F. Phillippi creating the business Frank H. Phillippi & Son. 22 June 1908.
6 Lease Agreement between Walker McC. Dorsey (owner) and Fisher & Phillippi Co. to lease 323 N. Main St., Piqua, Ohio for use as a harness and leather goods manufacturing shop. The lease was effective 9 March 1891 for 2 years.
7 Lease Agreement between Walker McC. Dorsey (owner) and Fisher & Phillippi Co. to lease 323 N. Main St., Piqua, Ohio for use as a harness and leather goods manufacturing shop. The lease was effective 13 April 1893 for 3 years.
8 Lease Agreement between Walker McC. Dorsey (owner) and F. H. Phillippi & Son to lease 323 N. Main St., Piqua, Ohio for use as a harness and leather goods manufacturing shop. The lease was effective 1 February 1909 for 10 years and was revised 26 October 1909.
9 Lease Agreement between Walker McC. Dorsey (owner) and F. H. Phillippi & Son to lease 323 N. Main St., Piqua, Ohio for use as a harness and leather goods manufacturing shop. The lease was effective 13 September 1919 for 3 years.
10 Agreement between Marjorie Phillippi, widow of and executrix of the estate of Jerome F.Phillippi, and F. H. Phillippi. By this agreement F. H. Phillippi agrees to buy the interest of Jerome F. Phillippi in the business for $2,000. The agreement is dated 10 July 1929.
SERIES II: BUSINESS PAPERS
11 Receipt given to Frank Phillippi on May 31, 1907 by William B. Mitchell for $58.00 forthe purchase of furniture and carpets. These items may have been purchased from the city since William B. Mitchell was the clerk for the Board of Public Service.
12 Two pages of an accounts receivable ledger on Fisher & Phillippi stationery and stamped above, “Frank H. Phillippi & Son, Successors to”. The ledger has five columns: Name of account holder, Date accounts was created, Time for the account to be paid off, Date the account is due, and the Amount of the account. The dates the accounts were created range from 18 March 1907 to 3 March 1909.
13 Contract between Phillippi & Son and The American Mercantile Company to handle collections of past due accounts. The contract is dated 6 July 1909.
14 Bill of Sale and Receipt of first payment of $15.00 for the purchase of a Burroughs Adding Machine and stand for $170.00 on December 26, 1917.
15 Petition to the City of Piqua to place “White Way” electric street lights in front of 323 N. Main. The petition is signed by F. H. Phillippi & Son and W. McC. Dorsey and dated 19 April 1920.
16 Frank H. Phillippi & Son business envelope.
SERIES III: FRANK H. PHILLIPPI DEEDS, MORTGAGES, BILLS OF SALE FOR REAL ESTATE
17 Mortgage Deed: Given by Frank and Mary Phillippi to C.A. & C. L. Wood in the amount of $670.47. The mortgage is on Lot # 508 in the city of Piqua which is 513 New Street. Date of the Mortgage Deed is 27 January 1888.
18 Warranty Deed – with Dower: Given by The Border City Building and Loan Association to William Brandon Mitchell for part of Lot # 118 Piqua which is 530 Spring Street. Date of the Deed is 23 June 1897.
19 Agreement between W. B. Mitchell and Frank Phillippi in which Mitchell agrees to sell the house and property at 530 Spring Street to Phillippi for $3000.00. This agreement is dated December 1906. Also a Mortgage Deed With Dower from Frank Phillippi and wife to William Brandon Mitchell for the house and property at 530 Spring Street. The Mortgage is dated 29 December 1906.
20 Mortgage from Frank Phillippi & Wife to The Piqua Savings Bank Co. for the house and part of Lot 118 at 530 Spring Street. The bank loaned Phillippi $3500.00 with the house as collateral. The money was probably used to pay Julia Fisher and the Estate of Christopher Fisher for his half interest in Fisher and Phillippi. Date of the Mortgage is 27 June 1910.
21 Sheriff’s Deed on Order of Sale: Third Savings and Loan Company force a Sheriff’s Sale of the property at 311 North Downing being part of Piqua Lot #92. The judgment forcing the sale was against Anna B. Buchanan and A. C. Buchanan and the property was purchased by Otto A. Simon for his high bid of $2775.00. The Deed was issued 7 March 1919
22 Warranty Deed from Otto A. Simon and Sena R. Simon to Frank H. Phillippi for the part of Piqua Lot #92 being 311 North Downing Street. The Deed is dated 29 August 1923. Also a Mortgage given by Frank H. Phillippi and Mary Phillippi to Otto A. Simon on the property at 311 North Downing in the sum of $3000.00 and dated 29 August 1923.
23 Agreement between Frank H. Phillippi and Wm. H. Kopf for Kopf to build a house for Phillippi on property at 311 North Downing. Agreement dated 24 October 1923.
SERIES IV: FRANK H. PHILLIPPI – PURCHASE OF MAUSOLEUM CRYPTS
24 Documents relating to the purchase of Crypts No. 7, Secs. C and D. Right Rear Corridor II,to be purchased from Collett Memorial Company [Darke County Mausoleum Company], the builders of the mausoleum at Forest Hill Cemetery, Piqua, Ohio:  Agreement to purchase and pay in eight installments the crypts for $475.00.  Promissory Note for $475.00 to Dark County Mausoleum Company in payment for crypts and also promise to make a one time payment of $47.50 to Forest Hill Cemetery Trustees for the perpetual maintenance of the Mausoleum. Documents #1 and #2 are both dated 12 September 1919.  Letter from J. P. Collett of Collett Memorial Company dated 11 October 1919 reminding Frank Phillippi that the second payment is due on October 12 and that weather was causing construction delays. A note on the bottom of the letter states that payment was received on October 24, 1919 and is signed by J. P. Collett.