Historical Happenings in and around Piqua during the month of September.
Sept. 01, 1900-The Coachman Harness Soap Company was formally incorporated.
Sept. 02, 1875-The Piqua Light Guard, Company D, Third Regiment of the Ohio National Guard was organized.
Sept. 03, 1972-The Piqua Historical Area (Johnston Farm) was formally dedicated as an Ohio Historical Society site.
Sept. 04, 1908-The YMCA bowling alley opened to the public.
Sept. 05, 1936-An open house was held to promote the city's first all steel home at 518 Vine Street.
Sept. 06, 1886-The City Council passed an ordinance to suppress ten pin bowling alleys in Piqua.
Sept. 07, 1874-Texas Street was renamed Park Avenue since it led to the new Western Ohio Fair Grounds (Fountain Park).
Sept. 08, 1939-The Cole Brothers Circus came to town, setting up their tents on the Meteor Field on South Main Street.
Sept. 09, 1961-The contracts were awarded for a new two story brick addition to the YWCA.
Sept. 10, 1885-The Ideal Band, featuring cornetist Harry Hardy, held a concert at the Ideal Skating Rink.
Sept. 11, 1934-Local 2251 of the United Textile Workers began a thirty-two day strike at the Orr Felt & Blanket Company on South Main Street.
Sept. 12, 1956-Warren S. Gravett was named president of the Citizens National Bank & Trust Co.
Sept 13, 1749-Celeron de Blainville traveled south from French Canada to visit the Miami Indian village of Pickawillany.
Sept. 14, 1857-William H. Hayner was born in Piqua. He became regionally known for his mail order liquor business in Troy.
Sept 15, 1960-A.J. Kaiser retired after thirty-four years with the Piqua YMCA.
Sept 16, 1912-Democratic presidential candidate, Thomas Woodrow Wilson, spoke from his train during a whistle stop in Piqua at Main and Sycamore Streets.
Sept. 17, 1812-William Henry Harrison, a future president of the United States, was commissioned a Brigadier General and given command of the Army of the Northwest. At the time, General Harrison was at Camp Washington on the farm of Indian Agent Colonel John Johnston.
Sept. 18, 1952-Bus token prices for the Piqua city route increased from ten to eight for a dollar.
Sept. 19, 1863-The 94th regiment of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry, originally raised at Camp Piqua, fought at the Battle of Chickamauga in Georgia.
Sept. 20, 1934-The Piqua Daily Call published ideas from the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), that suggested closing in old fashioned front porches and making modern rooms out of them.
Sept. 21, 1912-John Philip Sousa and his band performed at May's Opera House on Wayne Street.
Sept. 22, 1911-Frank H. Miller, a stunt flyer, was killed in an airplane crash at the Miami County Fairgrounds.
Sept. 23, 1884-The Third Savings and Loan Company was established in Piqua.
Sept. 24, 1973-The first classes of the Edison State General and Technical College were held in the former Spring Street Elementary School.
Sept. 25, 1867-The Colored Men's Co-operative Trade Association was established as Piqua's first African-American retail store.
Sept. 26,1812-Lietenant Gardner Bobo mustered an infantry militia company into service.
Sept. 27, 1890-The Piqua Humane Society was organized.
Sept. 28, 1939-Mrs. Mae Hetherington, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enlistment officer, announced that Miami County's quota would be twenty young men.
Sept. 29, 1923-Piqua was in the middle of a mini-boom in the construction of home automobile garages.
Sept. 30, 1891-The first guests registered at the Hotel Plaza on the public square.