Historical Happenings in and around Piqua during the month of July.
July 1, 1887--The Free Home Mail Delivery service began within the city limits of Piqua.
July 2, 1884--The Piqua Board of Health was established.
July 3, 1879--The People's Library Association was first organized.
July 4, 1896--The Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show with Annie Oakley was in town over the 4th of July.
July 5, 1837--General William Henry Harrison (a future U.S. President) spoke at the formal opening of the Miami Extension Canal.
July 6, 1820--The first issue of the Piqua Gazette, Piqua's first newspaper was published.
July 7, 1939-- The Elks Band began the tradition of its free concerts in Fountain Park.
July 8, 1905--Famous prohibitionist speaker and activist Carrie A. Nation visited Piqua.
July 9, 1883--The Young Women's Christian Temperance Union was first organized.
July 10, 1862--During the Civil War, Camp Piqua was established at Johnston's Farm as a base for the recruiting of two regiments of The Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
July 11, 1960--The Pro-Amateur Golf Tournament at Piqua was won by local golfer Von Ellis.
July 12, 1900--The short-lived Cahill-Leonard Knitting Company was incorporated.
July 13, 1916--Local Company C of the Ohio National Guard was activated and sent to the Texas-Mexican border to guard against raids by Pancho Villa.
July 14, 1903--Frank Gehle was appointed as Piqua's first modern chief of police.
July 15, 1802--Colonel John Johnston (future Piqua Indian Agent) married Miss Rachel Robinson in a Lutheran ceremony in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
July 16, 1952--A UFO was reported flying in the skies southeast of Piqua.
July 17, 1897--Mayor G. E. Smith warned the city's youth against playing baseball on Sundays.
July 18, 1933-The Piqua Tennis Club began construction on new tennis courts on the east bank of the Great Miami River, north of Bridge Street.
July 19, 1834--The village council passed an ordinance prohibiting swine from running loose in Piqua's alleys and streets.
July 20, 1903--The city council passed an ordinance that prohibited spitting on paved sidewalks within the city limits.
July 21, 1908--The Piqua Republican Campaign Glee Club was organized.
July 22, 1814--The Second Treaty of Greenville was signed.
July 23, 1912--The local lodge of the Loyal Order of Moose was first organized.
July 24, 1840--The founder of the Piqua Female Bible Society, Mrs. Rachel Johnston, died at her home at Upper Piqua.
July 25, 1934--One of the first meetings of the Young Negro Voters' League of Miami County was held in Piqua.
July 26, 1883--The Border City Baseball Team (Piqua) beat the Troy Eagles by a score of fifteen to twelve in ten innings.
July 27, 1899--The Piqua Broom Company at the end of West Water Street, was sold to Harry M. McCurdy.
July 28, 1887--Harry S. Frye began publishing the national lodge newspaper The Pythian News in Piqua.
July 29, 1933--The city's first bar after the end of Prohibition was known as "Der Rathskeller" and opened in the basement of the Hotel Favorite.
July 30, 1909--The city's first Aeronautics Club was formed.
July 31, 1944--Piqua City Schools Superintendent George C. Detrich resigned after thirty-five years of service.